A kitchen assistant, also known as a kitchen hand or kitchen porter, is an entry-level role in the culinary industry that provides support to chefs, cooks, and other kitchen staff. Here are some typical duties of a kitchen assistant that Nasco Staffing Solutions provides:
- Food Preparation: Assist in basic food preparation like chopping vegetables, peeling fruits, trimming meat, etc.
- Cleaning: Ensuring the kitchen is kept clean and in good condition. This includes washing dishes, utensils, and kitchen equipment, sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning surfaces, and disposing of waste.
- Stock Management: Checking inventory and assisting with the restocking of kitchen supplies, ingredients, and beverages.
- Meal Assembly: Under the supervision of a chef or cook, a kitchen assistant may help assemble dishes, prepare simple meals, or plate dishes in accordance with the restaurant’s standards.
- Equipment Maintenance: Ensuring kitchen tools and equipment are in good working condition, reporting any damages or malfunctions to the kitchen supervisor.
- Health and Safety Compliance: Adhering to all food hygiene and health and safety standards to ensure the kitchen is a safe and efficient working environment.
- Supporting the Kitchen Team: Assist other kitchen staff as needed, which can include everything from running errands to assisting with food presentation.